Molds can cause health problems, including hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing and runny nose. Here’s how to make your home mold-free.
Molds are a type of fungi that can be found both indoors and outdoors. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, no one knows exactly how many species of the fungi exist, but some experts say it could be 300,000 or more.
Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores. These spores are usually invisible to the naked eye and travel through outdoor and indoor air. Molds grow best in warm, damp, and humid conditions. Molds begin growing indoors when the spores land on surfaces that are wet.
In some people, molds can cause health problems. Molds produce allergens, which are substances that can cause allergic reactions. Some of these reactions may be severe. Symptoms of a reaction include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, stuffy nose, red eyes, and rash. Molds also can worsen asthma symptoms in some people.
It is impossible to get rid of all molds and mold spores indoors, because some mold spores will continue to float through the air. But, remember, the mold spores cannot grow if moisture is not present.
So, to clean up mold, fix plumbing leaks and other water problems as soon as possible. Dry all items completely. Scrub mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water, and dry completely.
To keep your home mold-free in the future, here are a few tips:
*Keep indoor humidity low. If possible, keep indoor humidity below 60 percent.
*Do not block or cover any heating, ventilation, or air conditioning ducts.
*Air out your home when weather is dry and warm. Let the sunlight in, and run the fan on your furnace to help circulate fresh air.
*In damp, humid, or rainy weather, keep windows and doors closed.
*Clean and dust your home on a regular basis. Use environmentally safe household cleaners. Vacuuming and mopping regularly will remove household dirt and debris that contribute to mold growth. A vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter will help remove mold spores.
*Periodically clean and dry the walls and floors around the sink, bathtub, shower, toilet, windows, and patio doors using a common household disinfecting cleaner. Wipe down and dry areas such as countertops, windows, and windowsills where moisture may accumulate on a regular basis.
*If you have a vent fan in your bathroom, always run the fan when bathing or showering until all excess moisture has been vented from the bathroom.
*Use a kitchen exhaust fan when cooking and while the dishwasher is running. Allow the fan to run until all moisture has been vented from the kitchen.
*Clean the lint filter of your clothes dryer after each use. Check your vent connection regularly for damage. If condensation forms on walls in your laundry area, wipe it dry. Dry damp clothing as soon as possible.
*Limit household plants to a reasonable number to limit excess humidity in your apartment and limit molds that could grow on the soil surface. Avoid over-watering your plants.
*Do not overfill closets or storage areas. Overcrowding restricts airflow.
The information contained in or made available through This Site cannot replace or substitute for the services of trained professionals in the medical field. We do not recommend any treatment, drug, food or supplement. You should regularly consult a doctor in all matters relating to physical or mental health, particularly concerning any symptoms that may require diagnosis or medical attention.