Is apple cider vinegar a good method for weight loss? If so, which is the best method — the apple cider vinegar pill or the liquid?
Let me start by saying that, to answer your question, I asked no less than eight leading obesity experts if they knew anything about the history of using apple cider vinegar for weight loss and how it is supposed to work. I also posed the question to several dietitians’ Internet discussion groups, and no one responded saying they knew anything about it. I think it’s safe to say that if it worked, these professionals would be informed!
Apparently, the idea of using vinegar (now available in pills and capsules, as well as in liquid form) to treat weight problems has been around for centuries. A general Internet search for “vinegar diet” brings up thousands of links. One of them indicates that vinegar works for weight loss because “the body transforms it into a powerful fat and carbohydrate burner.” Another website claims that apple cider vinegar helps you burn fat and increases metabolism. Sound too good to be true?
According to an online forum for gastroenterology (December 16, 1999), which was written by doctors from the Henry Ford Health System in the Detroit area, “There is no compelling evidence in the medical literature to suggest that vinegar will promote weight loss.” It goes on to point out that the basic principle behind plans promoting vinegar for weight loss is that you should eat in moderation and avoid fat-rich foods. The conclusion: “On balance, there is no good reason to try the vinegar diet.”
If a weight-loss plan boasts any of the following, it’s a red flag that it probably won’t work over the long-term:
1. You can eat all the food you want and still shed pounds.
2. Weight loss will be quick and painless.
3. The secret to weight loss is certain combinations of food, exclusion of certain food groups, or overemphasis of certain food groups.
4. The results are guaranteed, forever.
5. Dealing with sensitivities or allergies will solve a weight problem.
6. Certain supplements will burn off body fat.
7. The plan is the result of some scientific breakthrough or secret that’s been uncovered.
The minute I find out about any revolutionary remedies for weight loss, I will be sure to pass them along!